Thursday, November 13, 2014

Reconvening

Since I was last here, I slowed down freelancing work, although I have had some interesting contracts on occasion.

Instead, I've been focusing on publishing others' work. While it's been incredibly rewarding and instructive, it's time I return to focus more fully on my own projects.

There've been many creative inspirations over the past handful of years, but the most noteworthy remain in a stack of notebooks and mish-mash of scraps of paper, and a few hopeful entries and submissions.

Current creative projects (working and parked) include:

  • a novella, for which I've completed the third draft, but now wonder if it wants to be a full-scale novel
  • a site-specific musical play, with a first draft of the book and half of the lyrics/score 
  • a slow-growing collection of stories, which I continue to work on and hope to turn into a manuscript 
  • two screenplays that could be resurrected in some way, and the idea to turn at least one of them into a series (TV or web) has been on my mind
There are other ideas percolating and steaming away, and for this I am very grateful. So many ideas and potential directions…

But focus and prioritizing in a fertile creative space is what will bear the better product. 

It's an exciting place to be: at the gateway to a project's conclusion. And it's difficult to resist the temptation to touch everything all at once!

In the coming weeks and months, I aim to report on the progress I'm making, as well as reflect on the many things that continue to inspire me.



No comments: